Podcast: NL Central Preview
Pedro Alvarez heads a cast of great Pirate hitting prospect, but they won’t arrive in time to save the Bucs from another losing season.
It’s been a couple of years since media prodigy Alex Reimer has had me on his radio show, Without a Curse, but I must have done something right in the past because on Sunday he had me back on to blather on about baseball again.
Our focus was the National League Central, which kind of sucked for me because, as the sport’s largest division, that meant extra work! But hey, it’s not really work — it’s a labour of love. Besides, what the hell would I be doing on a Sunday afternoon if I wasn’t being interviewed? Probably sitting around eating cheese doodles and watching college hoops. Actually, that sounds pretty damn fun. But enough about that, here are some highlights of our discussion (I come in shortly after the four-minute mark if you want to go straight to the interview):
- Pirate fans should stock up on antacid now, but you’ve got to love some of the great bats in their minor league system.
- Cincy has built a nice core of young players and is poised to make a big jump forward this season.
- How the hell are the Astros going to find enough starting pitching? Oswalt, Wandy and pray for tsunami?
- Forget about Who’s on First in St. Louis. The real question is, Who’s on Second? And for that matter, Who’s on Third?
- Milwaukee fans better have enjoyed seeing their Brewers in playoffs last season, because I don’t think they’ll witness that again very soon, despite a potent offense.
- Can the Cubs finally kick the goat in the crotch?
Check out the show here.