Podcast: Injuries in the Outfield
Matt Carpenter looks like a great option with Lance Berkman out again.
In this week’s episode of RotoRob’s Fantasy Baseball Weekly, heard every Thursday at 9 p.m. EST on Blogtalkradio, Buck, Tim and myself covered a ton of ground. It was a very difficult week for owners of several key outfielders, and as always, there was a boatload of injury-related issues — and the opportunities they presented — to go over. Among the highlights of this week’s show were:
- Lance Berkman — surprise, surprise — suffered a relapse of his calf injury which was expected to send him to the DL (it’s now official — he’s been DLed), and opened the door for Matt Carpenter to continue his recent onslaught.
- Outfielders were dropping like flies this week. Brett Gardner, Chris Young and Jacoby Ellsbury all suffered injuries of various magnitude that sent them to the DL. We review each situation and see if there is any value to be found among the potential replacements.
- We explored the ongoing mess that is the Boston bullpen. This week we saw Mark Melancon — the BoSox’ projected closer until Andrew Bailey arrived — get farmed out and replaced by the intriguing Junichi Tazawa. Where is the BoSox bullpen headed?
- We also examined the bullpen situations in Colorado, where Rafael Betancourt has been holding off the competition — so far — and in San Francisco, where Brian Wilson’s Tommy John surgery has opened the door for several set-up men. Who’s the best Giant reliever to own?
- We reviewed Jamie Moyer’s record-setting performance and whether he has — against all odds — emerged with NL-only league value.
For these and tons of other Fantasy-relevant discussions, listen to the complete Podcast by clicking the play button below.